When designed, the Zentangle Kit's main guideline was to use quality materials. Whenever you create something, we believe it is important to use the best materials possible - out of respect for yourself and out of respect for what you are creating. Using fine materials and tools, and caring for them, can raise your level of focus and inspiration and inspires even greater creativity in ways that you might not even imagine.
Here is a list of what you will find in your Zentangle Kit and why they chose to include it.
- 34 Tiles-They call the small sheets of paper, tiles. That's because you can arrange them in beautiful larger mosaics. Zentangle tiles use a mould-made, acid-free, 100% cotton, heavy-weight fine artists' archival print-making paper with a beautiful vellum surface. Each tile is die-cut in resonance with this fine paper's original deckle edges and enhances the appearance of your mosaics. Sized at 3-1/2 inches (89 mm) square, these tiles are designed to fit in pockets or in old floppy disk containers.
- 2 Pens-Sakura® Pigma Micron 01 black pens were chosen to draw Zentangle patterns on the tiles. This archival pen uses pigments instead of dyes to create its 0.25 mm width line. When permanence is required of a pen, whether for marking ballots to last for hundreds of years, or by top cartoonists, Sakura Pigma is their choice. Their ink dries quickly to a neutral pH, is waterproof, chemical resistant, not affected by temperature and permanent on paper. Most importantly, these pens are a pleasure to use. The slightly cushioned paper yields ever so to receive the ink from this pen without absorbing too much and without bleeding.
- Pencils and Sharpener-A soft pencil is ideal for drawing strings and for shading your tile. Two soft-leaded embossed pencils are supplied with your Zentangle Kit. To sharpen your pencil, they included a German Kum® brand pencil sharpener.
- Tortillion-This tortillion, or smudge stick, is a small rolled paper tool to get into those fine corners which are too small to smudge with your finger tip. With precision and ease, it ever so gracefully allows you to manipulate your shades of gray.
- Instruction Booklet and Companion DVD-Watch the instructional DVD and read the small instructional booklet and you'll be ready to create beautiful art inspired by the Zentangle method. The DVD has no spoken words and just a few written words. Yet, after watching it, you will understand how our Zentangle method works enough to begin to really enjoy creating in a Zentangle way.
- Zentangle Legend™ and Icosahedron-Your kit includes a tile-sized card we call a Zentangle Legend™. It includes a Zentangle-sized card with 20 numbered and named Tangles and instructions on the back. It is a companion to a twenty-sided die (icosahedron). If ever you're ever stumped with what pattern to do next, or if you want to do a new pattern, just roll your icosahedron and do whatever pattern corresponds. Use your Legend as a quick visual reminder of tangles. Its instructions suggest ways to use it to stimulate and expand your creativity.
- Box-All of this (and more) comes in an easy to carry and easy to store container. Shaped like a book, it measures 5 1/2 " x 8 " x 1 3/4 " (14 cm x 20.5 cm x 4.5 cm).
Why buy a Zentangle Kit?
To understand and appreciate something fully, it's good to learn the basics as they were developed. We regularly receive emails from people who finally bought a Zentangle Kit and they regularly say how much more they discovered that there is to the Zentangle method, how beautiful the kit is itself, how enjoyable the DVD is and how much more pleasure they now receive from creating Zentangle art.
We invite you to get a Zentangle Kit to appreciate it's beauty, quality and the potential inspiration for creativity that it offers you and whoever else you decide to give one to.
The Zentangle® Method is an easy-to-learn, relaxing, and fun way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns. It was created by Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas. "Zentangle" is a registered trademark of Zentangle, Inc. Learn more at zentangle.com.